Listed below are some of the Indian actresses of the 90s who went missing from the big screen and from public life, after overcoming the initial struggles and making it big as actors in the Indian film industry.
- Meenakshi Sheshadri: One of the most successful and popular actresses in the Indian film Industry, Meenakshi made her debut in the super hit movie ‘Hero’ opposite another debutante Jackie Shroff. The talented and beautiful actress started getting acting offers after she won the Miss India crown at the age of 17. She starred in mega hits like Shahenshah, Ghayal, and Ghatak, and gave her most powerful performance in Damini. She moved to the US after her marriage. Now, the 52 year old Meenakshi Sheshadri married an investment banker named Harish Mysore in New York. They are settled with their two children in Piano, Texas. She runs a dance school called ‘Cherish Dance School’ in the US, where she teaches Indian dance forms to children.
- Kimi Katkar: Regarded as one of the sex symbols or sex sirens of the 90s, Kimi’s debut film was ‘Tarzan’ where she featured in a bold role. She then acted opposite many stars of the 80s and 90s like Anil Kapoor, etc., but was most famous for her role as ‘Jumma’ opposite Amitabh Bachchan. She quit acting in movies after her marriage to ad-filmmaker and photographer Shantanu Shorey. The 49 year old is now content, looking after her kids.
- Farah Naaz: She was one of the most prominent actresses of the 90s and starred in many hits such as Baap Numbari Beta Dus Numbari, Naseeb Apna Apna, Imaandaar, and Love 86. An actress who did not socialize a lot, Farah liked to live a private life. Actress Tabu is her sister. She was married to Vindoo Dara Singh, but the couple divorced. The 46 year old Farah’s last acting job was opposite Paresh Rawal in Priyadarshan’s movie ‘Hulchul’.
- Mandakini: This beauty with light eyes made her acting debut in a bold role in the super hit movie ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili.’ She then went on to star in many movies opposite actors like Govinda and Mithun Chakraborty, but none of them could recreate the magic of her debut movie. She was known to be involved with Dawood Ibrahim, the infamous don. However, she said that she knew him just as a friend and there was nothing more to it. Mandakini married Dr. Kagyur T. Rinpoche Thakur in 1990; in fact, he is the little boy from the well-known Murphy ads of the 70s and 80. The two had two children, a son called Rabbi and a daughter known as Rabze. The son however died in a road accident in 2000. Mandakini specializes in Tibetan Yoga and is a disciple of Dalai Lama. The 46 year old Mandakini runs a center for Tibetan medicine with her husband.
- Sonam: After a not-so-good start to her acting career with movies like “Mitti aur Sona” and Vijay, this curvaceous beauty with a husky voice found fame as the ‘oye oye’ girl after starring in the movie ‘Tridev.’ Her real name is Bakhtawar Murad Khan. Sonam later married director/producer Rajiv Rai and then left the country as her husband started getting extortion calls from the underworld. She is now settled in Switzerland with her husband; they have a son called Gaurav Rai. Incidentally, Sonam is the niece of Raza Murad and has a sister in Sanober Kabir.
- Mamta Kulkarni: She made her big screen debut at the age of 20 with the movie ‘Aashiq Awara’ (1993) opposite Saif Ali Khan, though she had a minor role to play in Tirangaa (1992). She won many ‘Best Debut’ awards that year. Subsequently, she went on to work with a number of A-list stars, including Akshay Kumar, Aamir Khan, and Salman Khan, etc. She became famous or infamous (depending on the way you look at it) after she posed shirtless for the cover of the Stardust Film Magazine. She was the original controversy queen with her saucy statements and dare-bare avatar. The downturn in her career started when she was shooting for China Gate (1998), where she was signed in as the lead actress. but the working relationship between director Raj Kumar Santoshi and her soured after she claimed that he was exploiting her. There were rumors that Mamta Kulkarni who was ousted from the film was reinstated on the insistence of Chota Rajan, the underworld don.
Fast-forward to 2014, Mamta Kulkarni was detained in Kenya along with her husband underworld don Vicky Goswami for drug trafficking. He had been arrested earlier in Dubai too, but was released on grounds of good behavior. The two had married in 1997 . The two are known to own real estate and hotel businesses in Dubai. The 43 year old Mamta has reportedly turned into a Sanyasini or a Yogini and has even written a book called, ‘Autobiography of a Yogini’.
- Anu Agarwal: This tall, sultry actress made her debut in the Mahesh Bhatt blockbuster movie ‘Aashiqui.’ She soon got many acting offers. Unfortunately her career was cut short after she had an accident in 1999 and her left side was left paralyzed. She even lost her memory for some time. The 46 year old is single and now lives in Bihar out of limelight. She practices Yoga at the Bihar School of Yoga. Compared to other actresses from the 90s, Anu Agarwal still retains her svelte figure thanks to her disciplined regime and workouts. She has participated in many amateur powerlifting competitions, and has written her autobiography called “”Anusual- Memoir of a Girl who Came Back from the Dead”.
- Sonu Walia: She looked like Zeenat Aman and Parveen Babi, glamorous actresses of the 70s and 80s, and hence was considered as the next sex symbol of the industry. In fact, Sonu was one of the educated actresses back then with a degree in journalism and graduate in psychology. She however disappeared from Bollywood without doing substantial. She married hotelier Surya Prakash who passed away in 2008. After his death, Sonu married Pratap Singh, an NRI film producer based in the US. The 51 year old Sonu has a daughter, and the couple are known to frequently shuttle between India and US.