There is a reason why ABBA continues being one of the best selling music groups of all-time. The Swedish group, for whom English was the second language, were the most successful pop acts in music history from mid 70s to early 80s. They have been an incredible part of musical grooming for the 90s kid too.
Music records sold by ABBA
- ABBA has sold close to 400 million records. They are the best-selling music band ever from Europe, and from outside the English speaking world.
- It is the first group from a non-English speaking nation to achieve such cult fame in English speaking countries like United Kingdom, Canada, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, The United States and India.
- The Spanish versions of their songs also achieved a lot of fame in Latin America.
- They have 8 back-to-back number one album records in the UK
- ABBA’s discography includes eight studio albums, seven compilation albums, four video albums, thirty three music videos, seventy three singles and two live albums. This is based on their performance as a group, not solo performance.
- ABBA’s biggest single hits are ‘Dancing Queen’ and ‘Fernando’
- ‘Arrival’ is their most successful studio album. Here is a complete list of ABBA songs.
- The compilation album ‘Gold Greatest Hits (1992) went on to become their most popular album in the world, with more than 28 million copies sold.
- ABBA, in their prime, were successful in The UK, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Belgium, Ireland, Switzerland, Germany, Soviet Union, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, The Middle East, United States, India and Zimbabwe.
- In 2010, ABBA’s record label Universal felicitated ABBA for having sold 375 million singles. This figure does not include sales from Mamma Mia!
ABBA – Net Worth
Each member of the ABBA quartet has an estimated net worth of $200 to $300 million. This puts their combined net worth at around $800 million to $1.2 billion.
ABBA made their money from their album sales, tours and performances. Royalty and the playing of their music in various spinoffs, films and TV shows, the Broadway musical and the superhit movie ‘ Mamma Mia’ and other performances also ensure steady royalty.
ABBA – reunion in 2018
On April 27, 2018, ABBA official on their Instagram account announced that they would make a comeback after 35 years. They will also tour the world in 2019, on the heels of their virtual concert. In the year 2000, the group was offered a stupendous amount of $1 billion to reunite for 100 shows but they had refused the offer.
Check out more information on ABBA reunion.